What other seafaring and maritime disasters interest you?

>>As I see it the universal instruction: if the bearing of another vessel [obtained by whatever means]does not appreciably change then the danger of collision must be deemed to exist".was completely ignored by both captains in this sad saga.<<

I agree! Worse yet, the Doria's officers never bothered to plot the radar picture, and they were in fog so thick that they could not even see the bow of their own vessel from the bridge.

To be fair to the officers on both bridges, the use of plotting sheets was not mandatory in 1956 although the practice was followed by a few from 1948 onward. It would be another year before the British MN made it compulsory for all officers above 3rd Mate to hold a Radar 'ticket'. However, even that did not prevent mis or careless use of radar equipment. Consider the following:

"In this case neither the Master or the OOW carried out a series of proper compass bearings.
Neither the Master or OOW have been able to provide factual evidence from the radar as to the
target’s displayed data. Therefore it is difficult to ascertain with certainty the actions of the
approaching ship. Furthermore it is recognised that assumptions should not be made on scanty
information and in particular scanty radar information which may be misleading. Accuracy of the
radar plot will depend upon the accurate input of own ship’s course and / or speed, in this
particular case the speed input, during the plotting interval. Inaccurate speed inputs into the radar
will reduce the accuracy of the calculated target vectors. A change in the vectors of the target
may not be immediately detected. It is highly probable the approaching target was itself
increasing to full sea speed having left an anchorage area.
In respect of the radar information displayed, a greater awareness should have made by the
Officers of the “British Vigilance’s” own increasing speed"

That from the finding of an Inquiry in 2002. Note the name of the vessel::rolleyes:

20 years before that, I carried out an accident investigation following a Radar-assisted collision between a vessel and an anchored Semi-submersible. In that instance the name of the culprit was, believe it or not..."Alert";)

Jim C.

Plotting (manually, with paper and pencil) radar data, range and bearing, for nearby ships was SOP in the U.S. Navy in 1961 and probably much earlier. All "other" ships, within certain ranges and bearings, were plotted to determine the closest-point-of-approach to "own ship." Sometimes, six or more ships would be continuously plotted. But, by merchant-marine standards, warships had plenty of crew for such luxuries. I can imagine merchant ship deck officers, in those days, just glancing at the radar display in poor visibility, and concluding that another ship was no danger.

Nowadays, everything is automatically done by computer?

Plotting (manually, with paper and pencil) radar data, range and bearing, for nearby ships was SOP in the U.S. Navy in 1961 and probably much earlier. All "other" ships, within certain ranges and bearings, were plotted to determine the closest-point-of-approach to "own ship." Sometimes, six or more ships would be continuously plotted. But, by merchant-marine standards, warships had plenty of crew for such luxuries. I can imagine merchant ship deck officers, in those days, just glancing at the radar display in poor visibility, and concluding that another ship was no danger.

Nowadays, everything is automatically done by computer?

Hello Doug!

Yep! Remember those heady days very well... working with the RN on blacked-out convoy of 50+ ships in close order... a bloody nightmare... particularly when the word "execute" [convoy simultaneous turn] was received...red signal via aldis lamp. We of course were observing radio and radar "silence" as well. Radars were only to be switched-on briefly otherwise the enemy woulds see the tell-tale sporadic dotted lines on the PPI.
Compare the foregoing to 30 years later, in the 80s.
Left Bergen Fjiord on total automatic systems.. Differential Sat Nav hooked to radar hooked to auto pilot hooked to 360 azimuthing thrusters (and therefore steering). Touching not a control, or button and hitting a moored buoy 350 odd miles away in the middle of the North Sea.
That was 30 years ago. Just think what they are capable of now.

Jim C.

Technology takes all the fun out of things. Same is true about flying commercial planes these days. All automatic, even the landings. Even planes that you fly for fun are now equipped with GPS. Hard to get lost.

In my little, old destroyer, there was about 300 in the crew, as I recall. The bridge watch would consist of the OOD, 3 lookouts, a signalman, helmsman, lee helmsman, a quartermaster, possibly a junior OOD, and if there was anything happening, the commanding officer. The navigator and his assistant would be about at dawn and dusk. Then, down below in the combat information center, there would be another 4 or 5 watch standers, plotting other ships from radar and responding to questions from the bridge, e.g., what is CPA on Skunk Bravo? range to to the guide ship (usually the carrier)? etc. Then there were multiple verbal contacts between the bridge and engineering, e.g. request permission to blow boiler tubes (often denied in daylight hours). Speed and course changes to maintain station. One person on sonar, and several dozen in engineering (two firerooms, two enginerooms, etc.). Plus, a lookout on the fantail watching for a man overboard, a gunners mate with a rifle in case a plane crashed and sharks were a possibility, and a man in after steering ready to take over if the main steering failed. Anyway, you get the idea - much different, I'm sure, than a merchant ship.

Looking back on it, the overall manning level was determined by the needs in the event of general quarters, battle stations. In most other times, there were extra hands that needed to be occupied.

300? Unashamed luxury Doug.

In my day, we had three on the bridge... OOW, Helmsman and Cadet in charge of, and executing, signals. (flags and signal lamp).

Remember being a guest on the old destroyer USS "John W. Weeks" way back in 1952 (Operation Main Brace)and being amazed at all the people. Also remember the ice cream and chocolate cake.

Jim C.

>>Also remember the ice cream and chocolate cake. <<

They obviously save the best for when guests are on board. When my son was stationed on the USS Enterprise (CVAN-65, not the starship) he was very excited about upcoming family days because they would prepare and serve the best food available on the way out to the ops area where the flight wing would put on an air show for all the family members who were on board. Included were T/Os and landings on the flight deck and a couple of supersonic flybys, which are never done over land. It was an all day event. They also provided ear plugs for all in case anyone was wondering. I still have the video we took. I don't know if they still do things like that anymore. This was before 9-11.

I don't know if they still do things like that anymore. This was before 9-11.
No, I don't think so. In 1963, I had orders to travel from the U.S. to Leghorn (Livorno), Italy to report to my ship, USS Saratoga (CVA-60). I took a few extra days before reporting to check out a bit of Europe and Italy. I met an American civilian in Florence, and offered to take him to the ship, via train, for a tour, even before I had reported aboard. We showed up on the pier, both in civvies, and I showed the navy watch-stander, at the brow, my I.D., and we walked on board. The O.D. appointed somebody to be our guide. (I had never been aboard the ship before.) Wow.

Remember being a guest on the old destroyer USS "John W. Weeks" way back in 1952 (Operation Main Brace)
You call that ship old? It's hull number was 701 - mine was 537. Your Operation "Main Brace" reminds me of pulling up alongside a Canadian destroyer in Halifax, in 1961. As a courtesy, they opened up their bar to our officers and midshipmen. As I recall, shots of Canadian whiskey sold for 25 cents - except we were not charged, drinks were complimentary. It was Operation "splice the main brace." I trust that the R.N. would have done the same?

As a 3rd class midshipman, I was only 19 years old. Nobody asked to see an I.D. to verify drinking age. Of course, all U.S. Navy ships were "dry," but once we stepped over the gangway to that Canadian destroyer, we were beyond any U.S. Navy jurisdiction.

Apologies for my lack of presence on here everyone, it's been (and continues to be) a very hectic few weeks. Suffice to say that it's another very interesting topic of the month discussion. I wasn't aware that the Stockholm was still sailing recently, Doug!

Cheers,
Adam.

In the summer of 1961 I had the very good fortune to be invited for dinner aboard the HMS Belfast, A British ship tied up across the pier from my ship, the USS Estes AGC 12 in Singapore harbor.I was looking forward to the Wardroom meal but especially to the promised pre- dinner cocktail, something not available aboard a US Navy ship. It was truly a memorable experience, highlighted by the fact that my scotch and soda came, in true British fashion, sans ice. The Belfast served, in those days, as the British Navy's station ship in Singapore. Supposedly, as a result of damage during WW11, Belfast did not return to England on a regular basis, but had her crew changes made by flying in her replacements. This was quite a memory for me, a brand new US Navy Ensign.

I am interested particularly in the Andrea Doria (largely because my mother nearly sailed on her last voyage) and the Waratah, because I live in South Africa (Durban - where she last sailed from) and have spent plenty of time in the area where she was last seen on, on the stretch of coast aptly known as the Wild Coast.

Back