Ken Marschall's Titanic 2001 Expedition Report

I'vealready been glossing over it. Very interesting stuff there. Thanks to Ken Marschall for publishing this, and to Parks for posting it on his website!
happy.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart.

Eric,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this. I've just finished reading it all. Ken's a class-act for taking the time to write and post his observations for everyone to read. It was fascinating - and a little sad - because so much seems to be disappearing or collapsing down there. I was intrigued that so many A-Deck cabins were looked into. I think those rooms were the prettiest on the ship, not ornate and spacious, just cosy and cute, like the bedrooms one might have in a cottage guest house. Perfect.

I noticed Edith Russell's room A-11 was on the list. But no such luck for the Duff-Gordons' cabins which I find curious. I wonder if A-20 & A-16 were damaged or otherwise inaccessible?

All in all Ken's report is as exciting as I'd hoped it would be. For those who haven't read it all, be prepared to be disappointed about some of what has happened to the poor ship AND to be surprised about some things that have been found better preserved than expected.

Randy

Randy, I just finished reading it myself. The advancing decay is quite a disappointment, but I can't say as it's unexpected. Time favours nobody and nothing. From what was posted there, I can hardly wait to see the documentary itself when it finally comes out.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

I have yet to finish reading it. From the introductory passage and watching part five of the Earthship TV program, I can understand now why there was such a wait. Of course, now my appetite is whetted.

-Adam

The Reception Room sounds like it will more than make up for the disarray of the staterooms. I'm literally drooling to see those images. Can you imagine seeing the floodlights of Mir pouring through those stained-glass panels?

Wow!

happy.gif

David

Eric & Parks!

Thank you both for allowing us to share Ken's own personal experiences, this leave of new knowledge should keep me well and truely preoccuried for the next couples days or so.

Andrew W.

How splendid to have a site that, after all the anticipation, not only lives up to but exceeds expectations! Kudoes to those involved in putting this on the net, notably Marschall, Eric and Parks. Even a die-hard non-rivet-counter like myself is mesmerised when material of this quality is presented!

~ Ing

Certainly a huge thank you to all those who put that link together. I used only imagine what Titanic's interiors were like, now most of my thoughts about the A deck cabins and others are confirmed.

I particularly like Ken's approach to the Turkish baths. You can see the paragraph is short, but I still read it in anticipation that maybe that room was indeed reached! I wish they can visit it next time.

Inger ... did you notice the search for Molly's room on B deck
happy.gif
I don't see where the bow quote came from, and although I'm not so sure that Molly had a brass bed, she was definitely not on B deck.

Thanx again to all those that made this account available.

Daniel.

Congratulations to Ken Marschall for an incredible report, to Parks Stephenson for an exceptional website, and thanks to Eric Sauder for letting us know about it. I felt like I was back in college again, sitting through a fascinating lecture. How I longed for a question and answer period afterward. Cannot wait for this to appear in book form, and, of course, to see Cameron's HD3-D film.

Ken's report was stunning!! It seems this is the first time an uncensored and candid play by play of what was seen within the bowels of the ship has been shared with Titanic buffs large and small. Past expeditions often forever cloaked their dicoveries with an air of secrecy.When i worked at the Boston Titanic exhibit, the exhibition crew wouldnt even tell the exhibit staff members what had been filmed. We were given vague ideas- we were told the rungs inside the foremast were filmed (under the forecastle);, but little else. This makes Kens detailed report a refreshing breath of fresh air. Numerous questions have been answered- one being the state of the cabins themslves. Most wood partitions are gone, but bed frames remain! Amazing...According to Kens' account, there seems to be an amazing quantity of intact paneling, despite the absesnse of many cabin walls. The presense of the leaded glass wndows in the 1st class recepotion room, and even an intact corner table in the dining room indicate that there were things within the ship that survived the carnage. I could not get over that image of the intact piece of furnature that still held the glass and caraffe. What were the odds those would survive unbroken? Without doubt THIS is the path future explorers must follow. Have team leaders who know Titanic cold, and are knowlegable enough to be aware of which canins they are exploring even without benifit of cabin walls. Seems that during the 1998 expedition, the poeple who fully unbderstood the layout of the interior of Titanic were far and few between...
The findings must then be shared wiuth the public- and for having done that Ken; THANK YOU!!!!!
Clearly there are some targets that need to be explored in the future
*The Turkish Baths is my top vote. How frustratuing Ken was lierally around the corner when his team had to back off. Given the fact that room was largely paneled with teak, and away from extensive currents. I suspect it will be in fine shape.

*The gymnasium- Before the gyms collapses into oblivion, I hope whatever remains can be brightly illuminated and filmed.

*The Reading and Writing Room- This is easily accessable either through the large rust hole on the boat deck. or by the large square window opening on A deck. The alcove could be filmed, and perhaps some glimpses could be caught of the crumpled lounge...In my opinion the Reading and Writing room was the most underrated room of elegance on the ship...

*The port side Verandah Cafe. Ken alluded it was a target, but didnt mention if they explored it after all. Its open to the sea, and looks very accessable...

Thanks again Ken for a fine report, and may future Titanic explorers learn from your example, by putting their findings into clear and concise decriptions that will be shared will all people in Titanic buufdom

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

lifelong Titanic buff

Back