Ken Marschall's Titanic 2001 Expedition Report

I just finished reading Ken's report on the wreck expedition. Wow!
Thank you to Ken, Parks, Eric, Bill, and everyone involved in making the article available for public scrutiny as well as their generosity in making this report possible. I haven't looked forward to reading about the Titanic this much since the 1986 expedition.

Regards,
Dan C.

David,

Do you mean that they are writing their own account of the expedition, or just an article. IOW, will it be like Ken's?

Eric and Bill are working on articles along their respective lines of expertise and I have server space reserved for them. That's all I know at this time.

Parks

I'd like to thank the list for its reception to Ken's report and answer a few questions that have been raised by the article:

Tarn writes:

>>> This is what we have needed for years - concise and open details on what was seen inside the Titanic wreck. I have never understood why past Titanic expeditions kept their findings secret; or shared such findings only within a small inner circle of 'important people'. Ken's report is a refreshing break from the 'secrecy' tradition.>> The port side Verandah Cafe. Ken alluded it was a target, but didn’t mention if they explored it after all. Its open to the sea, and looks very accessible... >> Can this data be used to properly map out the interior of the wreck? >Does RMSTI retain a 'visual' copyright on the wreck?>>… more meaningful info about the wreck has been (and will soon be) made available to researchers than has been made available by most of the post-Ballard expeditions combined.>> I just finished reading Ken's report on the wreck expedition. Wow! Thank you to Ken, Parks, Eric, Bill, and everyone involved in making the article available for public scrutiny as well as their generosity in making this report possible. I haven't looked forward to reading about the Titanic this much since the 1986 expedition.<<<

Thanks Dan for your kind words. My contribution was the least since it basically entailed technical review of a well-researched manuscript. Two or three read-thru’s and I’m done. Ken’s effort of course speaks for itself, especially the nice job he did on photo-enhancing the images used so that they “read” well on the net. That took days. But I did want to call your attention to the largely invisible work that Eric did proofing the manuscript through its MANY incarnations and the manual corrections added by Parks Stevenson with each revision.

Bill Sauder

I apologize for the previous message. It was properly formatted in the preview screen but posted as a jumble. I will re-post it as separate Q&A's

Bill

I'd like to thank the list for its reception to Ken's report and answer a few questions that have been raised by the article:

Tarn writes:

"This is what we have needed for years - concise and open details on what was seen inside the Titanic wreck. I have never understood why past Titanic expeditions kept their findings secret; or shared such findings only within a small inner circle of 'important people'. Ken's report is a refreshing break from the 'secrecy' tradition."

The secrecy log jamb of course was really broken by Jim Cameron himself. This was the first time an expedition leader took the input of a Titanic “expert” seriously, invited him onboard for first hand observations, and then let him share his findings with out a Byzantine labyrinth of agreements, provisos, and blackouts. This absolutely cannot be understated.

"The port side Verandah Cafe. Ken alluded it was a target, but didn’t mention if they explored it after all. Its open to the sea, and looks very accessible"

Ken mentions that most of Promenade deck is crushed flat in this area now, so there are no more large internal spaces to explore.

"Can this data be used to properly map out the interior of the wreck?"

Not only is it possible, its probably being done as we speak. The questions that must be asked is, if released publicly, “Will it be used in ways that are to the detriment of the wreck?”

"Does RMSTI retain a 'visual' copyright on the wreck?"

Short answer: No. That comes from a former lawyer for RMSTI whom I met on the 2000 expedition. RMSTI tried to copyright all images of the wreck on the same legal basis that you can’t go to Disneyland, take a photo of the Castle and sell postcards from your photograh … the very image of THAT particular castle is copy written. The argument was defeated in court, however, on the position that the Titanic’s image is public domain property in a “public space”, hence neither the image nor the access is under the control of a private party.

George Behe:

".. more meaningful info about the wreck has been (and will soon be) made available to researchers than has been made available by most of the post-Ballard expeditions combined."

I certainly hope so. We’ve all been waiting since 1986 for a good second look at the Titanic and this may be the opportunity. Something I will say about Jim Cameron is that he has a real interest in Titanic, as Titanic — not as a stepping stone to something else. I think that there is a possibility of a booklet of some kind put out with the highest fact-to-fluff ratio seen to this point. The stars may finally be in alignment for this one.

Dan Cherry:

"I just finished reading Ken's report on the wreck expedition. Wow! Thank you to Ken, Parks, Eric, Bill, and everyone involved in making the article available for public scrutiny as well as their generosity in making this report possible. I haven't looked forward to reading about the Titanic this much since the 1986 expedition."

Thanks Dan for your kind words. My contribution was the least since it basically entailed technical review of a well-researched manuscript. Two or three read-thru’s and I’m done. Ken’s effort of course speaks for itself, especially the nice job he did on photo-enhancing the images used so that they “read” well on the net. That took days. But I did want to call your attention to the largely invisible work that Eric did proofing the manuscript through its MANY incarnations and the manual corrections added by Parks Stevenson with each revision.

Bill Sauder

Hi, Bill!

Nice to see you here, old chap! I hope you'll continue to participate on the ET bulletin board in the future -- we could certainly benefit from your knowledge and your expertise.

Take care, my friend.

All my best,

George

Bill,
yes, but like a puzzle, each piece, however small in itself, is important and vital in achieving the end product. I sincerely appreciate everyone's work in this analysis of the 2001 expedition!

Now, to incorporate all those discoveries into my Titanic model...
crazy.gif

Dear readers,

Many thanks to all who have posted observations and compliments regarding my 2001 "Wreck Report," as I informally call it. Your comments are much appreciated. Allow me to respond to a few of these:

Randy Bigham wondered why first-class staterooms A-20 & A-16 weren't explored and if it was because they were "damaged or otherwise inaccessible." The portside rooms just off the staircase foyer were easily accessible, but exploration farther forward on that side of A Deck looked somewhat dicey, with fallen wiring hanging all over the place and other debris potentially barring the way. Despite desired targets farther forward, Cameron opted not to continue. He had better luck on the starboard side.

Daniel Klistorner states that Molly Brown's stateroom "was definitely not on B Deck." My goodness. Sounds like you know something I don't. Would you care to share it?

Mike Herbold says he "cannot wait for this to appear in book form." I am hoping and pushing for this, but no decision has been made that I'm aware of.

Tarn Stephanos says he hopes the Reading and Writing Room can one day be explored because it is, he writes, "easily accessible either through the large rust hole on the Boat Deck or by the large square window opening on A Deck." Sadly, such exploration is doubtful. As I said in the 18th paragraph of the "Exterior, Bow" section, the roof there is now entirely collapsed. Only a few fragments of paneling may remain open to view on the forward wall. He further asks about the portside Veranda Palm Court: "Ken alluded it was a target but didn't mention if they explored it after all. It's open to the sea and looks very accessible..." As explained in the second and third paragraph of the "Stern" section, no ingress to the Veranda seemed possible as Boat Deck and A Deck in that area seem to have collapsed down to B Deck.

Michael Cundiff wonders why I was surprised when two Russian Mir pilots told me the stern section had as much as a 20-degree starboard buckle. "This (fact) was earlier clarified by Dr. Paul Mathias (see (the book) "Legacy..." (by Susan) Wells)," he says. Search though I might, I can find no reference by Dr. Mathias in this book to any buckle of the keel of the stern section. Have I missed something? The mosaic of the stern section assembled by Dr. Mathias' company, Polaris Imaging, shows no such buckle. Mr. Cundiff asks why I made no mention of the wing props or rudder. I'll quote from the introduction: "As a rule, I won't describe details of the wreck that were known prior to this latest visit, instead focusing on new developments and surprises." He further comments that it's no surprise that Ballard's stern plaque is missing: "If Marshall's (sic) 15-foot collapse summary is correct, well naturally the plaque would have tumbled to the seabed." Again, I would refer him to my description of the apparent collapse of only a small area of Boat Deck and A Deck (paragraphs two and three in the "Stern" section), which would have had no effect on the fantail.

Thank you again for your comments. It is tremendously satisfying, after all this work, to finally have this published online. As I said in my report's introduction, I will be updating, adding information, corrections and perhaps new images as the expedition video is reviewed with a fine-tooth comb. These updates and alerts to new images will be posted in a new Page following the body of the report text.

Ken Marschall

Ken Marschall!?!?!? On ET!?!?!?!?!?
Why, we are in the presence of ROYALTY!!!!

lol. I just wanted to say that your article was very well written. I do have some questions, though:

1. Was the diffusion glass in the Reception Room broken?

2. Was any attempt made to enter the 2nd Class Dining Saloon/cabins? I only ask since some of your paintings suggest vast portions of hull plating missing, allowing easy access to 2nd Class spaces.

3. On the stern, where the Smoking Room floor, used to be, are any tiles still in place, or does debris block view?

Also, you suggest that the lack of intact chandeliers may be due to heat/cold shattering (which is very logical and probable). Is it possible that the glass was so securely sealed to the bases that they imploded? Or am I missing something?

Thanks again for your GREAT paper and I hope to hear more from you on the board!

(Wow! Ken Marschall on ET...I'm gonna have to tell Mom about this)

happy.gif

David

Wow!!!! Ken Marschall has joined us!!! This is certainly a great day in ET history!

Ken,

I have some questions and will discuss further the Molly Brown cabin with you. I'll contact you privately via the e-mail address you have provided.

That was certainly a great report and I take the opportunity once again to thank you personally for making it possible. As well as others involved in the report.

Best Regards,

Daniel.

Mr. Marschall. Your paintings are absolutely breathtaking. When I look at my all time favorite one, it is as if I am inside the painting, standing on some unknown shore watching the Titanic steam off into the sunset. Can we look for any new works soon?
Thank you for stopping by and making my day!
Sincerely,
Colleen

I don't know who financed this expedition but I am thankful to them AND to all who made it possible to capture this piece of astounding history.

Parks, thank you very much for displaying the James Cameron’s Titanic Expedition 2001 report for all to view.

I look forward to when the pictures will accompany the words. For me, it will give substance to the whole expedition.

Sincerely,

Teri

Was looking at the Mesotech sonar image (http://home.flash.net/~sparks12/ppsio02.html) and wanted to say that this image is simply astounding. It's amazing what technology can capture.

Thanks again, Parks for allowing all to view this. You have done us Titanic Enthusiasts/Historians/Researchers a great service.

Shall we give Parks and those who participated in the expedition a standing ovation. I think it's in order here...

Very Sincerely,

Teri

Mr. Marschall,
I have a question regarding the stability of the wreck. You mentioned that there are holes opening up in the boat deck on the bow section. Also, that the walls to the officers' quarters have fallen flat, as has the roof to the 1st class entrance on the boat deck. (Not to mention the collapsing state of the gym.) This implies that the hull integrity of the upper levels of the wreck is not too good. I know that the flat roof over the elevator shafts, just forward of the opening to the grand staircase, has been a prime landing spot for subs in the past. Surely placing a sub on that spot several times would cause the deterioration of the metal there to be accelerated.
So my question is, do these signs of rapid deterioration mean that its time to keep the subs from coming into direct contact with the upper protions of the hull? Certainly for the sub's safety, but also to help preserve the wreck from further damage.

I enjoyed your report tremendously, and I wish to extend my personal thanks to you, and to so many others for their hard work and wonderful devotion to this special ship. If you get a chance, please forward my appreciation to Mr. James Cameron as well. Top people, all of you.

Yuri Singleton
North Carolina, USA

G'Day Ken, and welcome aboard ET! I my own questions are exactly the same as Yuri's. Time has not been kind to the wreck, and it certainly won't be kinder. The internal survey you took part in may well have been the last such opportunity to do so given the deterioration in progress. I think it's a given that there will be more expeditions out to the wreck, and the safety issues to this retired sailor are obvious. If something goes wrong, likely as not, it will be followed by a very sad memorial service as recovery will be very unlikely.

I'm also curious about the condition of the stairwell leading down to the Fireman's tunnel. I heard it was something of a mess and I can understand why the decision was made not to attempt it. (Regretable though. I'm involved with some ongoing research into the forensics of the sinking with some chums and we have quite a few questions about the Fireman's tunnel itself.)

I hope we'll be hearing more from you, and that the book you're advocating can be done. Welcome aboard!
happy.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Back