This comment
quote:

"But this haunted mummy - or rather coffin lid - was supposed to have been saved –
from the article should be a red flag right there, as not so much as a matchstick worth of cargo made it off the ship, much less a coffin board or any other Egyptian artifact. Like a lot of sites, what the Discovery Channel is perpetuating is a myth and it's not the first time they've done it either.

You might want to check out that Snopes.com link I provided in my 24 October, 2001 - 4:57 pm post. It deals with the actual provenance of this story.

Bottom line: It's bunk.​

Did somebody say reputable and Discovery Channel in the same sentence?
The reality of show business, Sophie, is that these cable channels are not interested in promoting accurate historical information. They're interested in selling Fords and Chevys and Listerine and Pantene. You simply cannot take them seriously - they are for entertainment purposes only. Even James Cameron had to bow to the Studio to sacrifice accuracy for drama to sell DVDs and Videos.

Kyrila

>>Did somebody say reputable and Discovery Channel in the same sentence?<<

That one caught my eye too. To illuminate on that, a couple of weeks ago, the Discovery channel presented a show where what was supposed to be the remains of Christopher Columbus were subjected to DNA testing. The problem with this, as shown in 3604,1280441,00.html, This Article is that the actual location of his genuine remains is unknown and couldn't possibly have been the bone fragments that were exhumed in the show.

The "documentary" neglected to mention that.
wink.gif

Thanks to everyone for the input! I'm sorry for bringing up the mummy again - it seems to be a sore point that just won't go away.
happy.gif
Saw the Snopes link and it clarified things.

From visiting ET I've learned that some documentaries on the History Channel may have incorrect information, but I never realized that this was also true of the Discovery Channel! ::sighs:: And I was interested in that Columbus documentary too. So I guess trying to learn history from cable isn't the best idea, eh?

>>So I guess trying to learn history from cable isn't the best idea, eh?<<

Nope...it isn't. Don't get me wrong, there have been some outstanding documentaries produced and presented by these outfits, but you always need to be on gaurd and check the facts for yourself and preferably from first hand sources wherever possible.

I was just cruising the internet for stuff like haunted houses and things and found a site that talked about legends, myths, etc. Some listed (to give you an idea of the content) were Bermunda Triangle, Loch Ness, Vampires, Ouija Boards, Spontaneous Human Combustion, etc. Towards the end of the list was mention of the mummy on the Titanic. I thought I'd relay what I read in a somewhat condensed form.

It is an interesting story. Basically it talked about Princess Amen-Ra who died and was placed in a wooden coffin and buried in the vault of Luxon (neat the Nile). Four guys from England wanted to buy the coffin when it was excavated so they held lots. The guy who "won" had it brought to his hotel room. Later he was seen walking into the desert and never returned. Another guy was shot accidently and lost his arm. A third guy lost his life's savings. The fourth guy got very sick and lost his job. The coffin was then sent to England amid a bunch of other bad things happening to anyone having contact with it. Someone in England bought in and his family ended up being in an accident and his house burned down. He then donated it to the British Museum. Bad things happened to people during its transit to the museum and to people in the museum having contact with it. There were too many things happening to remember and then list here.

Later a photographer from a newspaper heard about all the stuff going on and wanted to get a picture of the coffin. He then shot himself. The museum sold the mummy to a private collector, who after a series of mishaps, stored it in an attic. He then called some lady to see if it could be exorcised but she could't do it and just told him to get rid of it. This is where the mummy hitched a ride on the Titanic.

“A cursed mummy sank the Titanic”

No, it didn’t.

This is one of the most ridiculous rumors of the Titanic story.

The story alleges that a wealthy American purchases an Egyptian sarcophagus as a souvenir of the his European travels, then continues his travels until he arrives in England and books a First Class passage for the Maiden Voyage of the Titanic with his sarcophagus being loaded into one of the cargo holds of the great ship. This sarcophagus was rumored to be cursed and had caused all of its previous owners to die in unexplainable accidents, and that this curse caused the Titanic to sink.

Early indications that this is indeed a myth occur when the teller of the tale is pressed, they can never provide any further information about the sarcophagus, the owner or quote any sources or subsequent historical documentations of the object or its prior owners.

Furthermore, a search of the cargo manifest of the Titanic on her fateful voyage reveals that no Egyptian sarcophagus was ever aboard the ship.

This tale originates only days after the sinking from the testimony from First Class survivor Frederick K. Seward, a prominent New York attorney. Now had it only been this testimony the mummy story would never have become as large at it has.

However, Seward’s testimony was condensed by Jay Henry Mowbray in his book “Sinking of the Titanic: Thrilling Stories from Survivors.”

Seward tells during his interview with Mowbray that fellow First Class passenger and spiritualist William T. Stead entertained his dinner companions with tales of the occult and spiritualism aboard the Titanic.

One of these tales was of an Egyptian sarcophagus in the possession of the British Museum which carried a deadly curse to whoever attempted to write a history of the object. However, notice how Stead only talks of just a sarcophagus, with no indication of a mummy contained within.

This small detail was overlooked over the years and the empty case was replaced with an actual mummy in subsequent retellings of the myth. Notice also that the curse only applies those attached to compiling a history of the sarcophagus, not through ownership.

It is through this small detail that Seward implies that Stead’s telling of the tale of the sarcophagus somehow cursed the Titanic. It is later written that Seward states he was not superstitious and was later quoted to saying:

“I guess on the whole, it is a story I will never tell.”

It would appear that Seward, the only survivor of all the people around the table the night Stead told his mummy story, planted the seed of the Titanic Mummy Myth.

Best Regards,

Brian

Yes, I know all that Brian. I think it was mentioned someplace else in this message board. I just never knew the whole rumor/story/myth. It was just interesting to me what people can come up with.

Actually, there are supposed to be 3 sets of remains that are claimed to be columbus's. The DNA testing of the 3 remains was supposed to be matched against the DNA of a known member of his family lineage to see the one that was the match. Haven't heard anything much lately about tho...

Since this thread has been revived, does anybody know the name of the documentary in which Captain Smith was said to be affected by emanations from the mummy, which was stored close to his cabin? It was shown in around 1999 or 2000.

I use the term "documentary" very loosely!

I was reading this piece in my local newspaper which suggested that there were rumours going round at the time saying that a cursed mummy was on board. Is this true?

“While in New York, Delia met many survivors from the Titanic and was told by many that they believed the reason it sank was because of a ‘haunted Egyptian mummy' on board.”

Source: Titanic Anniversary: Titanic 'lucky love' story revealed

This is a persistent rumor, yet most definitely not true. There is no record on the ship's cargo manifest of anything that could be considered related to Egyptian history, and there was also not a single Egyptian archaeological displays or events in all of North America at that time that would require that transportation of Egyptian artifacts to the continent.

Hope this helps! I actually address this question in my Myths and FAQs section on my webpage, Living Titanic - Home Have a great day!

As the person below noted, there is no evidence of any Egyptian antiquity on board. But perhaps more pertinent is the fact that there is no such thing as a "curse".

I was reading this piece in my local newspaper which suggested that there were rumours going round at the time saying that a cursed mummy was on board. Is this true?

“While in New York, Delia met many survivors from the Titanic and was told by many that they believed the reason it sank was because of a ‘haunted Egyptian mummy' on board.”

Source: Titanic Anniversary: Titanic 'lucky love' story revealed

Hi
I have just started researching my great grandad, Henry Carysforth. He was an antique dealer and woodcarver, born in Boston but at the time living with his family in Blackburn, Lancashire (from the census of 1911) The thing is, it has been a family legend that he put something onto The Titanic for shipping to the U.S. From my research so far he was a bit ... dodgy. This may mean that the story is untrue and it may mean that he shipped items under a different or company name, he doesn't appear on the ET manifest
Out of interest, I was always told it was an Egyptian mummy being shipped - but after reading some ET posts - this is interest only! Henry did donate a mummy to Blackburn Museum, I have seen it.
As a newcomer to historical research, I would appreciate any help - or leads - or anything!

John

Back