Sundowner

I'd be happy to help as well, if I know who to send it too and how to make the donation. (I suspect that a cheque negotiated in dollars might cause problems with exchange fees!) I can't afford much in the wake of the Christmas Bloodletting spending spree, but surely even a few bucks would help.

On Friday I was lucky enough to go aboard her. (and I'd just upped sticks and headed off to Ramsgate the night before!) I think she is rather lovely but very much in need of donations. I spoke to Micheal also, which was grand.
(and yes, I have a couple of interior shots, fingers crossed when my grandparents come down next my grandfather will bring them; as I did the usual thing and left my own camera at home {how I cant quite fathom} Then it's just a matter of getting mum to scan them.)
Pat, I heard tell that you've been aboard her?

Here's a fascinating account of the role of the Sundowner at Dunkirk and both "Lights" and Sylvia's involvement.

Also, there is an account of the role of the Marchioness in the same campaign. She went on to become a party boat on the Thames. In 1989 she sank after collision with a barge with heavy loss of life.

Cheers,

Boz

Fascinating account, indeed Boz! I wasn't aware of some of that info, so thanks for posting the link.

A very sad ending for the Marchioness though.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

In a local magazine the once owned C Lightroller boat Sundowner come up for discussion and is all well too. A unnamed person from Weybridge brought the boat from Ramsgate museum and where a boatyard Denemett of Chertsey on the river Thames not to far me has overhaul the boat and is in good working order. I will see if I can get a photo of the boat next week. Not bad for a boat built in 1912 with a great history behind her to!

I have been following the progress on Charles Lightoller ex Sundowner boat. On my last visit a few weeks ago at Michael Dennett boat builder Chertsey/Laleham Thames River. There is not much progress in rebuilding the boat due to finance problems. However, the son Steven tells me there is no way any wooden boat in his yard gets scraped, which I am pleased to hear as some of the boats there look like they in are in right old state.
As for Sundowner she has a top-quality double diagonal teak-built hull, which is fine. The bridge is also teak and OK. But all the new timbers added non teak over the years needs replacement. Getting hold of teak as endangered timber is a problem to. He hopes to have done deal to buy all available teak in the UK. I am most impress of the yard where the bosses are a monk the dirt and grim of the splendid work they do. Also still have the skilled craftsmen of the past as many boat yards in that area have gone. The time they finish you can see your face in the varnishing. The good news for Sundowner is kept under a new canopy to stop any further weather deterioration.
At present they have eight boats in from the Dunkirk days. The sizes of the boats can vary from a rowing boat to a 70-foot boat. Average one boat a week is rebuilt.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.JPG
    IMG_2603.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Sundowner Oct 22.JPG
    Sundowner Oct 22.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 35
  • P1010646.JPG
    P1010646.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
  • Front view.JPG
    Front view.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 30
I have been following the progress on Charles Lightoller ex Sundowner boat. On my last visit a few weeks ago at Michael Dennett boat builder Chertsey/Laleham Thames River. There is not much progress in rebuilding the boat due to finance problems. However, the son Steven tells me there is no way any wooden boat in his yard gets scraped, which I am pleased to hear as some of the boats there look like they in are in right old state.
As for Sundowner she has a top-quality double diagonal teak-built hull, which is fine. The bridge is also teak and OK. But all the new timbers added non teak over the years needs replacement. Getting hold of teak as endangered timber is a problem to. He hopes to have done deal to buy all available teak in the UK. I am most impress of the yard where the bosses are a monk the dirt and grim of the splendid work they do. Also still have the skilled craftsmen of the past as many boat yards in that area have gone. The time they finish you can see your face in the varnishing. The good news for Sundowner is kept under a new canopy to stop any further weather deterioration.
At present they have eight boats in from the Dunkirk days. The sizes of the boats can vary from a rowing boat to a 70-foot boat. Average one boat a week is rebuilt.
Most interesting. Hope they can pull it off. I'm into to restoring old machines too so I get their drive to do these things. Probably hard to raise funds in these difficult times from what I've been hearing about the recession over there. Loss of skilled craftsman and the desire to these things is a problem everywhere nowadays so glad to see they still have some left there. Thanks for posting this...again interesting. Cheers.

When Sundowner is finally restored, I think it would be wiser to house her inside a museum (perhaps the IWM or NMM in London or the RN museum in Portsmouth could accommodate her) rather than continue to be exposed to the elements and require ever more costly overhaul every ten or fifteen years.

A fundraiser has been set up to turn the little ship with a rich history once more into a seaworthy vessel
Like I said before I hope they can pull it off. Good to save these things when they can. I just caught the movie "Dunkirk" on satellite the other day. That was quite a feat to pull off. Cheers.

According to "GetSurrey", the Sundowner's former owner was a Commander "Charles Lightfoot".

I had my head in my hands seeing that Brexit (what a bright idea that was :rolleyes: ) will increase the cost of materials to restore her. Don't blame me, I voted "Remain" !

As I said a few weeks ago, I would get her housed in a museum once the restoration is complete. It will keep costing a lot of money every few years to keep her at sea. A museum is much the better option.

Back