Yes, I think we do. People with a deeper knowledge (NPI) explain to those who are wondering. This is called "education", and this is how we learn things. These apply to the sinking and implosion of "Thresher" as well. Frankly, I don't believe much "speculation" applies to what happened.
PH was hardly shy about grabbing shoes for Tulloch and Gellar's museum.

And Cameron's under his usual fire.

So if there has be no other explorer sub lost. This can only be in the different design from previous subs. A very hard lesson be learn here and just hope the law is change that they are properly tested to the new design specifications.

Hmm, had to google what "class envy" even means.
I don't consider myself to have "resentful feelings against people of a higher social class", was just simply saying, they don't need the $$ so any lawsuit would actually be more on principles ,,, And in that regards, I wouldn't at all mind seeing anyone in on the charade presenting this vessel as a fun, safe way to dive 12k ft, financially ruined.
You mooted the following "3 of the 4 victims were billionaires so its not like I am rooting to see them get some $$." as if their level of wealth counts for something.

It doesn't.

It doesn't matter who the injured party is. Wrong is wrong.

That's all there is to it.

You mooted the following "3 of the 4 victims were billionaires so its not like I am rooting to see them get some $$." as if their level of wealth counts for something.

It doesn't.

It doesn't matter who the injured party is. Wrong is wrong.

That's all there is

Whatever, move on then.
Billionaires are people too. They just have more zeros on their ledger sheets. I would guess their wives and mothers feel the same as ours would. They took a chance that went against them. What they did doesnt affect anyone outside their immediate circle. No need to disrespect them.

The whole point why the sub failed is due to the fact was never given a properly soak test over a period of time before putting people into it.
In other words the sub should been tested a 100 times at those pressure of 6000 psi before placing live people in. In fact if you know the pressure is 6000 psi in the new design concept of using carbon fibre it should be tested at 10,000 psi.
Seeing the new development of electric planes using hydrogen to drive electric motors and pressure of 5000-10,000 psi. I just hope they are fully tested about those figures over a period of time before placing live people in. Perhaps we may learn from sub disaster do like for the planes don't take just the theory but by practical tests beforehand. Isn't that what they did in space by putting dogs and monkeys in first before the human race!

I always thought these were obvious things for any invention. If you want something to work under certain conditions, test them with an increased load. Apparently, not in this case.

Stress testing is not reliable in a CFC pressure vessel. That’s one of the problems that made testing hard, and therefore something to be dropped to cut cost. Loading to proof strength can actually compromise the strength at the service rating.

While I feel strongly that the supposedly "leaked transcript" is a fake, it's not for this particular reason alone. After all, there are screenshots and videos taken during other dives where the coded shorthand was NOT used (or, at least, throughout the entire dive). Now, I don't know the reasons for why complete or partial sentences are used in those videos and screenshots; however, it makes me wonder if the codes were used but not necessarily a requirement.

In one of the more famous videos (the one that showed the video game controller needing to be rekeyed), it makes me wonder how that would be relayed given the perplexity of the issue. The paper showing the codes that was released by David Pogue doesn't show any means of communicating such complex issues using just that small list of potential coded responses.

So, I'm under the impression that it was possible to type short sentences. I could be wrong. I know that one video kind of indicated a limit to a few letters; however, I wonder if they found a workaround in the two years after that video. Either way, I would hate to have been in that vessel without a viable means of communicating specific issues with Polar Prince.

For complex problem solving, I am sure there was no shorthand used. The shorthand existed for communicating common and frequently reported statuses of the submersible and the actions of the crew. So yes, more words were used figuring out how to remap a PlayStation controller; however, to report depth, or to report weights have been dropped, or to report key variables. etc. I have no doubt the shorthand was used rather than typing out every message.

Having worked in environments where coded shorthand was used, I can tell you that using that shorthand becomes second nature--its a lot like using acronyms for things in other jobs, where those acronyms become so ingrained in how you speak that you start using them even in conversations with people who do not have the context to understand them; and from that experience alone I can tell you that if I were in the middle of trying to solve an urgent problem, I am not going to just start typing out everything like "compatibility build," or in this case "our current depth is" in instant messages and/or texts. It is actually a hinderance to what you are doing to try to solve the problem to revert to instant messaging that involves typing out everything you use shorthand for.

Last edited:
Good for them, finally someone calls out Cameron.

OceanGate co-founder believes ‘Titanic’ director James Cameron ‘knows nothing’ about doomed sub​

The co-founder of OceanGate Expeditions took a swipe at critic James Cameron, saying the “Titanic” director and deep-sea explorer “knows nothing” about the company and its imploded submersible.

Cameron “is a very experienced ocean explorer and a sub guy himself, but knows nothing about OceanGate and that stuff,” Guillermo Söhnlein told Insider.

I agree to that on principle, but are we really as self-righteous as we like to believe? The problem is that in out heart of hearts, a lot of us (if not all) want to know the grisly details because of that morbid streak that is present in most of us, but to which we seldom admit. That is the reason why TV series like Mayday (aka Air Crash Investigation) are so avidly watched and makers of docu-dramas about Hiroshima (BBC, no less), 9/11 etc provide the graphic details thay they know will be expected by their audience. Even disaster feature films need to be "realistic" apart from being well made in order to be successful, even if the more gory details are often edited to appease the more "humane" folk among us.

Even here on ET, we have discussed about how various victims of the Titanic disaster could have died, ranging from being maimed by falling onto jagged edges, crushed by falling debris, freezing to death in the water and even the possibility of a few who might have lived for up to a minute trapped in the dark in their enclosed cabins in the stern till their air pockets were compressed and expelled by the flooding. Those victims included men, women and children. Compared with those painful deaths, those on board the Titan submersible had a mercifully instantaneous and painless exit when it imploded. Yes, I know tht the difference is that almost all survivors and their then immediate family were naturally gone by the time ET came iinto being; but their descendants are contemporaneous, just like the families and friends of the Titan victims.

So, at the end of the day it all depends on how one looks at it.
I suppose that respectfulness surrounding the dead is a cultural and personal thing. Discussing a person's manner of death has never felt disrespectful to me or overly gruesome. If it were me or my family, I would want it to be known, especially if it could help others avoid the same fate.

No one here is sharing shocking images, for example, of the victims of the Byford Dolphin incident or, as someone mentioned earlier, the cosmonaut Vladimir Komaro. Although images like those have been used to spur people to action and drive home the reality of terrible truths.

(This was the reason that in the United States that Emmett Till's mother decided to have an open casket for her lynched teenage son. She wanted people to see what had been done to her son.)

The people on Titan thankfully died very quickly. Whatever happened to their earthly remains is a matter of scientific and societal interest. I think the very concept of an implosion isn't well understood by the public. We lose something critical to the narrative when we don't point these facts out.

Good for them, finally someone calls out Cameron.

OceanGate co-founder believes ‘Titanic’ director James Cameron ‘knows nothing’ about doomed sub​

The co-founder of OceanGate Expeditions took a swipe at critic James Cameron, saying the “Titanic” director and deep-sea explorer “knows nothing” about the company and its imploded submersible.

Cameron “is a very experienced ocean explorer and a sub guy himself, but knows nothing about OceanGate and that stuff,” Guillermo Söhnlein told Insider.
Cameron might be overselling his insider knowledge of OceanGate or Titanic, but the co-founder is either delusional or lying when he says that only 4 people thought that submersible was a bad idea.
The 2018 letter from the MTS that said they were unanimously concerned about the Titan was signed by 38 engineers and deep-sea explorers alone. That's not to mention all the other people who backed out of trips or heard cracking, etc.

Cameron might be overselling his insider knowledge of OceanGate or Titanic, but the co-founder is either delusional or lying when he says that only 4 people thought that submersible was a bad idea.
The 2018 letter from the MTS that said they were unanimously concerned about the Titan was signed by 38 engineers and deep-sea explorers alone. That's not to mention all the other people who backed out of trips or heard cracking, etc.
I think Söhnlein is delusional. Any defense of the Titan’s integrity is academic at this point. As the co-founder of the company that designed and owned the only deep-sea submersible to implode, Söhnlein will probably regret making these comments in the future. He reminds me of Harold Sanderson, vice-president of White Star, who continued to oppose lifeboats for all aboard after the Titanic sank.

Back