What's your source for this?
It’s from Mr. Sanderson’s testimony on Day 17 of the British inquiry, beginning with Question 19131:

“…and, having regard to the extraordinary nature of the accident which happened to the "Titanic," I still do not feel that it would be a wise or a necessary provision to make; that is to say, to provide boats for everybody on board the ship…”

I should amend my earlier post—Sanderson was vice-president of IMM, not of White Star.

Last edited:
Cameron has to stop pretending he's Robert Ballard. Movie makers are not scientists or geologist even if they talk to them. Ballard wanted little part of this, and likely did not want to discuss Nargeolet after all the past bad blood.

A note in my BBC news feed said the biological remains found in the wreckage are unidentifiable at this time, and extracting DNA
may give a determination. While they are probably of human origin, that's not even certain.
All remains and wreckage have been passed to the USCG for study.

Cameron would be the first to say that he was inspired by Ballard; that doesn't mean that he is 'pretending' to be him! Ridiculous thing to say.#

Separately from that, if I was the Oceangate guy I'd be keeping my mouth shut right now, particularly in the public domain.
Cameron should be the guy keeping his mouth shut as the guy at Oceangate rightfully said in the Post, he had no connection with that sub or it's construction or that company, he built his own not certified sub, the fact it did not implode does not make him right, Titan went to Titanic more then a few times successfully.

And something surfaced in 2013 where Cameron had some criticism for Ballard because Cameron always takes all the air in the room after Ballard appeared in his 2012 documentary at the Reagan Library but not in the room with many people who likely would not want him there like Nargeolet. Even Ken Marshall was not shy about appearing with recovered memorabilia which you can find everywhere from Olympic.

The only thing Ballard wanted for Titanic was for people to take better images with better technology, and it happened. His paint idea was not a winner but all Cameron ever did was copy what he did. As for Ballard he's a hero today and never seemed more happy as he's out doing what he loves best.
And here's Cameon in 2013 response to Ballard, who built a sub that was not certified or inspected.

The quickest way to destroy ocean science, James Cameron tells Newsweek, is to take human explorers out of the water.

I know Bob Ballard well and continue to admire and support his efforts. But here’s the problem with his argument: it’s not as if more funding is being made available for ROV (remote operated vehicle) and AUV (automated underwater vehicle) exploration as a result of cutting funding to piloted subs. No money is being freed up by these draconian cuts. Funding is being cut across the board, in the U.S., including for ROV and AUV operations, and deep-ocean science in general. Piloted subs, which are the most expensive to operate, are being cut most aggressively. No kid ever dreamed of growing up to be a robot. But they do dream of being explorers. And inspiring young minds and imaginations is one of the most important things we can be doing if we want a future supply of engineers and scientists insuring our lead in innovation.The issue is not one of robots versus piloted vehicles, it’s one of national will. The U.S. public is not engaged in deep science and exploration. And the quickest way to get even less interest and engagement is to take human explorers out of the vehicles, and have it all done robotically.

My submersible program easily attracted young, brilliant engineers to work exceedingly long hours for low pay because their imaginations were captured by what we were attempting. And the public’s interest in our dives, as measured by the literally billions of website hits, was several orders of magnitude greater than the dives of the very capable Nereus remotely operated vehicle done several years ago at the same deep spot in the Challenger Deep. Very few people outside the marine science community even noticed the historic Nereus dives because no one was inside experiencing it firsthand and returning to tell the story.

The funding for ocean science and exploration is determined by political will, which is an oxymoron because politicians have no will, they only have a need to avoid criticism. They avoid criticism while funding science and exploration only when the public believes this is something good and necessary, and that only happens when the public is engaged and excited by the exploration itself.

I believe the correct approach is combining the strengths of fully autonomous vehicles, remotely operated vehicles, and human-piloted vehicles, into a suite of tools to explore this vast dark territory at the bottom of the world’s oceans. Each type of vehicle provides important and necessary capability. I have personally designed and built fiberoptic tethered ROVs and flown them extensively, at depths down to 5,000 meters, so I am very aware of their capabilities. But they don’t replace actually being there, in situ, in a sub. Contrary to Dr. Ballard’s assertion [that subs are good for fun but not for science], there is significant interest from the science and marine engineering communities in our new technical capabilities, both in the submersible itself and in applying its innovations to other vehicle platforms. I have an ongoing team of engineers currently interfacing with the oceanographic institutions to hand over our new technology, which I consider open source, so that it can benefit other science and exploration programs. Perhaps the greatest contribution of the Deepsea Challenge program will be the advances made in camera and lighting systems, acoustic communications, thrusters, batteries, and flotation technology, all of which can be applied to future vehicle programs. Dr. Ballard himself will no doubt benefit at some point from these advances.

Last edited:
Cameron should be the guy keeping his mouth shut as the guy at Oceangate rightfully said in the Post, he had no connection with that sub or it's construction or that company, he built his own not certified sub, the fact it did not implode does not make him right, Titan went to Titanic more then a few times successfully.
I'm sure that Oceangate's lawyers are cringing every time the surviving partner opens his mouth about the Titan.
And here's Cameon in 2013 response to Ballard, who built a sub that was not certified or inspected.
When did Ballard build a sub that was not certified or inspected? I hate to be an English teacher, but I've read that sentence 10 times, and it says that Ballard built a sub that was not certified or inspected.

I'm sure that Oceangate's lawyers are cringing every time the surviving partner opens his mouth about the Titan.
Yup, this.

As for Cameron, his achievements under the water are considerable- his explorations of the Titanic and what we have all learnt from his efforts should need no explaining here. What that article there is supposed to prove, or the ramblings about Ken Marschall etc, I don't know.

Last edited:

When did Ballard build a sub that was not certified or inspected? I hate to be an English teacher, but I've read that sentence 10 times, and it says that Ballard built a sub that was not certified or inspected.
I did not write Dr Ballard built a sub much less one that was not certified and inspected. I re-posted Cameron's January 2013 response to Ballard about the need for subs vs manned robots.

Cameron's accomplishments are frankly he made two movies about Titanic (Ghost of the Abyss), the rest was mostly him hiring the Russians to do the dives there, he did make the two robots one which broke and flew back to the surface, the other that got trapped inside Titanic which was recovered, and the Russians took him to recopy Ballard's discovery of Bismarck with better film quality.

But this is about Cameron always acting like he's the expert about everything, he criticizes Titan, but he did not get his own sub inspected and certified.

But this is about Cameron always acting like he's the expert about everything, he criticizes Titan, but he did not get his own sub inspected and certified.
There is one EXTREMELY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE. James Cameron was not charging people to go on dives in his own non-certified, non-inspected sub. The only life James Cameron was putting in danger was his own. If you want to risk your own life in a vessel you designed and built that's not certified or inspected, that's fine. Just make sure your affairs are all in order.

There is one EXTREMELY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE. James Cameron was not charging people to go on dives in his own non-certified, non-inspected sub. The only life James Cameron was putting in danger was his own. If you want to risk your own life in a vessel you designed and built that's not certified or inspected, that's fine. Just make sure your affairs are all in order.
Sounds nice, reads well, sure does get some likes for that free spirit stuff, but of course like Oceangate, if Cameron's sub had issues and he were trapped who pays the massive bill for all that searching and or rescue, that Stockton rush did not have to pay for Titan's search and eventual recovery.

Cameron's accomplishments are frankly he made two movies about Titanic (Ghost of the Abyss), the rest was mostly him hiring the Russians to do the dives there, he did make the two robots one which broke and flew back to the surface, the other that got trapped inside Titanic which was recovered, and the Russians took him to recopy Ballard's discovery of Bismarck with better film quality.
That is completely disingenuous, and I'm sure you know it.

So, he hired the Russians- so what? Once down there in 1995, he immediately explored further than most had before with an ROV that was just supposed to be an on-screen prop. His subsequent exploration of the wreck in 2001, particularly the interior, was second to none. BOTH ROVs from 2001 were recovered, and both were then taken to the Bismarck, where we went from Ballard's frankly dull overheard views of the ship to again, full exploration and a huge leap in our understanding of the wreck.
Back to Titanic in 2005, we again had multiple internal areas explored by several ROVs.

Gordon's post nailed it regarding the Deepsea Challenge trip and all that entailed.

I've seen Cameron do kid's TV in the UK to talk about the ship. He has campaigned for Titanic artefacts to be returned to Belfast. He still acknowledges the anniversary. The list could go on and on. But, some mouth behind a keyboard thinks he hasn't accomplished much. Yeah, right.

You've been down on him through this whole thread- you've more than made your point. As the saying goes, if you can't say anything nice, try not saying anything at all.

Last edited:
That is completely disingenuous, and I'm sure you know it.

So, he hired the Russians- so what? Once down there in 1995, he immediately explored further than most had before with an ROV that was just supposed to be an on-screen prop. His subsequent exploration of the wreck in 2001, particularly the interior, was second to none. BOTH ROVs from 2001 were recovered, and both were then taken to the Bismarck, where we went from Ballard's frankly dull overheard views of the ship to again, full exploration and a huge leap in our understanding of the wreck.
Back to Titanic in 2005, we again had multiple internal areas explored by several ROVs.

Gordon's post nailed it regarding the Deepsea Challenge trip and all that entailed.

I've seen Cameron do kid's TV in the UK to talk about the ship. He has campaigned for Titanic artefacts to be returned to Belfast. He still acknowledges the anniversary. The list could go on and on. But, some mouth behind a keyboard thinks he hasn't accomplished much. Yeah, right.

You've been down on him through this whole thread- you've more than made your point. As the saying goes, if you can't say anything nice, try not saying anything at all.
If Cameron kept quiet I would not have written anything, but he opened his mouth to play expert (nothing new there) and I did make my point that he's a hypocrite for not getting his own sub professionally certified, and I point out how he tried to talk down Ballard in 2013 with a link and quotes. You don't have to throw stones because Oceangate fired back at him and I agree with them, and perhaps you should follow your own advice because I did not write a single word about you.

Back