Why did Californian even have wireless?

For the very reason that we now take our mobile phones with us on car journeys when years ago we didn’t have them.
Much as agree with you: that we now take our mobile phones with us on a car journeys . Not every one as I know quite few who refuse to do so in fear of breaking the law.

Why did Californian even have wireless?
Read my post again, Mike. I answered your question.

However the Act was not as strict as it should have been. Do I take it some shipping companies were not applying to the 1910 ACT?
No I am referring to the loopholes which as I stated, were revealed after the disaster. They were "the licensing of radio operators, a separate frequency for distress calls, absolute priority for distress calls, and 24-hour radio service for ships at sea." The Radio Act of 1912 which took law on 1 July of that year, addressed those issues. Simply put, technology developed faster than regulation; there is no hidden conspiracy.

Last edited:
Hi Jason,
Did you know beforehand when this thread was started of the ACT 1910 that ocean ships required radio and operator? I give you the benefit of doubt may of not know. But If you did know we seem to wasted so much time in the discussing of the in and outs of this topic. Why did Californian even have wireless?

Hi Jason,
Did you know beforehand when this thread was started of the ACT 1910 that ocean ships required radio and operator? I give you the benefit of doubt may of not know. But If you did know we seem to wasted so much time in the discussing of the in and outs of this topic. Why did Californian even have wireless?
Mike,

You asked and as per the discussion of this thread, why the Californian was equipped with wireless. I have provided you with first hand information as per what the Wireless Ship Act of 1910 states. That all ships carrying a specific number of passengers and traveling 200 miles or more during day or night, are to have on board a Marconi wireless set. So I don't understand, nor do I appreciate your post. A simple thank you would have been sufficient.

Jason,
I am only questing when the thread came up would of thought the Wireless Ship Act 1910 should of been mention at a very early stage of the thread. As was not mention we put forward all sorts of wide ideas which turn out the Wireless Ship Act 1910 would confirm the reason for a wireless on the Californian.
However now I seeing the Wireless Ship Act 1910 above. I have a question. That all ships carrying a specific number of passengers. As the Californian did not have passengers would the Wireless Ship Act 1910 still apply?

Having looked at the USA 1910 Wireless Act, I consider

1. I don’t know how it could be enforced

2. It wasn’t UK Law

3. Strictly speaking it didn’t apply to The Californian anyway as it’s passenger accommodation by then was then just less than the requirements of this USA legislation.

Nevertheless, the Leyland Line had decided to equip it’s passenger carrying vessels with wireless. And advertised this facility. The Devonian Leyland Line literature sticks in my mind for various reasons, and if I can find it I will post it on here.

Cheers,
Julian

As the Californian did not have passengers would the Wireless Ship Act 1910 still apply?

Mike,

The Californian was registered as a passenger carrying ship. 47 passengers in cabins on the port side with all facilities and cooks and stewards and a large dining room.

Just because on this one outward voyage there were no passengers doesn’t mean that it was only a freighter. Quite the contrary.

Quite a few of us have copies of the original plans for The Californian, and I have also found additional drawings and documents in Lloyds archives. We know there were passengers on the previous voyage and the return voyage from Boston.

But admittedly not enough passenger accommodation to potentially fall under the USA legislation referenced by Jason.

Whether or not comply to the Wireless Ship Act 1910. I can see having a wireless with a operator on board as a good selling point for passengers.
As for the return crossing from Boston I would of thought they knew passenger where booked.

Mike,

We would very much like to have an apology from you please.

I often make mistakes on here and happily apologise when I have been corrected.

Just a suggestion.

Julian,
I just feel we where rather lead up the garden path by not informed of the Wireless Ship Act 1910 in the early stage of the thread.
I can say for myself if I known about the Act 1910 I would of never written so many theory ideas. If you think I having a go at Jason, I can assure you was not my attention and recognize the fine job he does for ET.

At any rate, Californian did have a working wireless set and a qualified operator, so why Lord (who seemed a fan of wireless) didn't wake up the operator when rockets were spotted is still inexplicable to the point of arousing suspicion about what Californian was really up to on that trip.

Back