Why did Californian even have wireless?

The idea here is that the wireless on Californian is being used for trafficking smuggled black market/illegal goods. Lord deliberately sailed into the ice so he'd have an excuse to be stopped for a while. Evans then talks in code to the smaller boats who sail up to Californian and take on the goods and give Lord the cash. If you accept this theory, then it makes perfect sense why Lord didn't want to get mixed up in a rescue situation and attract attention to himself and his ship. He might have even thought Titanic could have been a trap, sending up phony distress rockets to lure him over there and then some kind of SWAT team storm aboard Californian and find like 500 lbs of opium or whatever he is really carrying.

I know many will be skeptical, but it is not a crazy theory, and actually makes the most sense when you take a hard, unbiased look at the evidence.
Where is the evidence that the Californian was carrying contraband?

Your line, "Evans then talks in code to the smaller boats who sail up to Californian and take on the goods and give Lord the cash." borders on absurd. That implies that Evans had a frequency tuner so he could be on a frequency where other ships could not hear his transmissions. Frequency tuners would not come into existence for years. I can see, potentially, circumstantial evidence. Show me the hard evidence that could lead to guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Explain it as you would to a jury.

Last edited:
That's a new one on me. Hadn't heard that theory before. One flaw of many I can see with it is that both the Titanic and Californian were owned by the same parent company. I can't see them going on with a set up to target one of their own ships using another one of their ships. They could have handled any skullduggery in way that didn't disrupt the operations of one of their premium liners. Never seen any evidence that the Californian was involved in smuggling before. But whoever came up with that theory I'll give an "A" for imagination. Cheers.

The idea here is that the wireless on Californian is being used for trafficking smuggled black market/illegal goods. Lord deliberately sailed into the ice so he'd have an excuse to be stopped for a while. Evans then talks in code to the smaller boats who sail up to Californian and take on the goods and give Lord the cash. If you accept this theory, then it makes perfect sense why Lord didn't want to get mixed up in a rescue situation and attract attention to himself and his ship.
By not reacting to the rockets or even checking what was going on, Lord and his crew actually drew so much attention to themselves starting right after the disaster and that has prevailed for over 111 years.

Evans did not seem to be using any "code" when he sent iceberg warnings to the Titanic and was told to 'shut up' for his troubles.

Never seen any evidence that the Californian was involved in smuggling before. But whoever came up with that theory I'll give an "A" for imagination
I would give it an 'S' for stupidity.

By not reacting to the rockets or even checking what was going on, Lord and his crew actually drew so much attention to themselves starting right after the disaster and that has prevailed for over 111 years.

Evans did not seem to be using any "code" when he sent iceberg warnings to the Titanic and was told to 'shut up' for his troubles.

I would give it an 'S' for stupidity.
Well it's not that serious of a thing. Just another conspiracy theory among all the others. I was trying to be a little more diplomatic. Cheers.

Just another conspiracy theory among all the others.
Sure, but don't you think that these Conspiracy Theories, especially those that have no supportive evidence and transcend all common sense, create needless confusion, argument and waste time? Especially with events like the Titanic sinking, 9/11 etc where a lot of deaths of innocent people are involved?

Last edited:
Back