Cameron's Titanic Explorer

I'm new here, so sorry if this question seems stupid.

How much did you guys paid for it on eBay? I would love to have this game, but I don't want to pay too much for it. (Fell for that once)

I think they missed an opportunity not doing an updated version for release in 2011 or 2012.

It could have had
  • Sharper sound and video quality,
  • A new narration (Bernard Hill or Victor Garber would have great for it) with a few historical errors corrected,
  • More information and visuals about building the ship, finding the wreck etc,
  • More detailed biographies and photographs of the historical personalities,
Still got my copy of it gathering dust somewhere. Haven't really the heart to part with it. I think for most of us it simply won't run on our modern computers :(

Ah, yes, that is for sure. It's a shame that they didn't.

In fact, there's a way for it to work on modern computers, even though most people don't know about it.

A friend of mine is quite a... well, he knows his way around codes and how to alter them...
He told me of some ways to make old software to work on new systems and so far it worked. It worked so well that I'm even able to play games that were meant to the MSX system, one of the first "computers" with only a keyboard, on my Windows 7.

One of those ways is to of course, install the old system in a separate hard drive and creating a "ghost computer", by installing the game on it and then connect it to the original pc. (This is a little harder to do, since you have to use some advanced coding.)

Another way involves importing the game code and change it to accept the new software. (Again, requires a lot of advanced coding)

Yet another way is to use an emulator, (that's what I normally use) these are the same things used to play PS2 games on PC, amongst other platforms. I don't know if there are any emulators for old versions of Windows online, but it's just a question of searching. If there's not one, there's always the possibility of making one or having someone do it.

And the last way that I know is to change each file of the game by one by one method, but this is very time consuming and a small mistake makes everything useless.

So, in the end, never give up of a game that you love simply because of the platform or software version. There are always ways around it.
If I can play games from the first SEGA on my tablet, everything is possible!

Hilda, it may be that this 5-year old software isn't wholly compatible with more recent operating systems and/or Apple Quicktime video software. I've also found that the DVD drives in modern PCs cannot always read the content of older CDs.

Here's a link to Fox Interactive's help page for this title. The info may not have been updated for several years, but there is an email link for problems:

http://www.foxinteractive.com/support/titanic.html
does it work today?

I doubt it should be a problem if you have the most up to date computer. I think the only real nuisance involves changing discs to get access to other info.

There's a great way of touring the ship by navigating the deck that takes you through the sets, and that was where the only problem I ever had came up when sometime the program would slow down and crash as I was going through that.
does it work in 2020?

Back