Lightoller at Dunkirk

Don't know, wasn't there...but I have repaired a lot of wooden boats in my time. Any vessel as overloaded as Sundowner and subjected to near-miss explosions would be expected to work seams loose. In fact, I would suspect that some re-fastening of planks became necessary within a year or so of that event because of the loosening of the structure. This is a normal event in the life of a wooden boat, it would just have occurred earlier than usual. Seams often lose their caulking under rought treatment of the hull. It would have been remarkable if Sundowner did not need re-corkin' after her adventure.

--David G. Brown

A couple of weeks ago, I was sat watching TV and much to my amazement Sundowner came up on the 'Antiques Roadshow' here in the UK. I thought that I had read that she was in a shabby state, but she looked very well on TV and seemed to be in good condition and well cared for.

Sundowner was looking good at the time of the Dunkirk commemoration in 2000. There are photos of her on the Internet.

If she'd been hit by a Messerschmitt 109E on the way back from Dunkirk, Lightoller would have got more than a fright. Their usual armament was two 20mm cannon and two 7.92mm machine guns. Casualties would have been high, never mind the boat.

Well, there's another Pellegrino-generated myth dealt with. I read that passage in Her Name Titanic and the phrase "Not damn likely!" sprang to mind. Thanks, Dave, for the information on the armamament of the ME 109E-- it really shoots that tale right out of the water.
While Lights and his cargo had the advantage of presenting a small moving target to an aircraft-- and there's the possibility that he may have exaggerated just a bit in the interest of spinning a good yarn-- you still have to appreciate the combination of skill and luck that got them out of Dunkirk unscathed on June 1.

Pat W.

I'd just like to remember the day when no armchair sailor can accuse Charles Herbert Lightoller of not putting enough people in the boat. Here's to Lights and the Sundowner!

I have some fairly recent (last summer) shots of her I took when I was last up in Ramsgate (for more than 3 minutes anyway; the Friday before last caused a great deal of neck craning to see how she was looking!) I can forward them to anyone interested. Hopefully I'll get some more very soon, April if not before.

Hallo Pat,
thanks for the reminder. I will certainly raise a glass to the occasion tonight.

Now, this may sound like a really silly question, but can somebody remind me why in my mind the appropriate drink for any Lightoller anniversary is Gin-Tonic? I think I must have read something somewhere. Did he have one after the surf-boat incident? Or am I making this up? - Sometimes I do despair of my memory.

Best wishes from an annoyingly cold Munich
Monika

Ah yes...your in-honour-of-Lights G&T's, Monika! I remember those well!

Doesn't Stenson mention a fondness for them in his Lightoller bio?

I have to look it up this evening (this side of the globe), after purchasing some gin and tonic on the way home.

The Guardian has the contemporary report on the 'Miracle Rescue of Dunkirk' on its website today. I tried to put a link here, but failed miserably.

Back