Lightoller at Dunkirk

Monika, it was whiskey after the surf boat incident. He's supposed to have pulled a drunk act with a bottle of gin on Sundowner to avoid being boarded by the German authorities when he was surveying the coast. He mentions "Gin and It"-- that's gin and sweet vermouth-- also, but not as something he was having himself. However I think you're right with the G&T.

not that it's relevant, but surely 'it' in 'Gin & it' stands for Indian Tonic - full of Quinine.

Do you have any info on the last boat out of Calais? My Pa was on the taff rail watching the German tanks just fail to get the range - but no photos.

"Gin and It" was a very popular drink in the 40s (particularly for women)- we see less of it today. Pat is correct that it is gin and sweet red (dark) vermouth (Noilly Prat Red is a good choice) - suggested by some as the original Martini, and known in the 19th century as the Martinez.

Not my favourite gin cocktail - I'm more fond of the original Singapore Sling (not the overly elaborate versions we see today) and one of my standby summer drinks, the White Lady.

Great family story there, Chris - welcome to the board.

At age 16 I nearly passed out with a "Gin & It". My uncle gave it to me, and was surprised when I keeled over. It wasn't a red vermouth, but a white one. I've never forgotten it.

Now then, Inger. Never mind these fancifully-named cocktails, just try making them up yourself. I once had a very good time with some gin, lemon, vermouth, and mango. However, I now just drink halves of lager or a white wine. Experience.

I gave the original Bacardi cocktail a belt on the weekend - I don't know how Louise Brooks managed to down them in the 20s! Ugh - grenadine. No wonder she turned to straight gin.

I like any combination of gin and lemon (or with lime), Monica - White Ladies are great, but the Tom Collins variations are refreshing as well! I'm not a great fan of vermouth (unless it's one of the very rare days when a Martini or Vodkatini is the only drink that will do), but mango is always a great combination with white spirits.

I found out the hard way recently that bartenders no longer know how to make a straight daiquiri. I was lulled into a false sense of security by his knowledge of vodka, so when I instructed him to make it with rum, lime juice and Cointreau, I thought I'd be safe. I should have twigged when he asked me if I wanted anything other than lime as a mixer. Nope, I said, and happily toddled off while the drink was being fixed.

Arriving at the table after it, the next warning sign was that it was served in a hurricane glass, like a frozen daiquiri. I took a tentative sip. Can you imagine what two shots rum, one shot Cointreau, and the remainder filled to the brim with lime juice tastes like? It was a unique experience. I couldn't look limes in the face for at least a week.

There is ample information on Lightoller's trip to Dunkirk on his motor yacht Sundowner on 1 June 1940, when he rescued two crew members from another small boat, three Naval Ratings rescued from the sea off Dunkirk, and 122 troops taken from the destroyer HMS ‘Worcester’. I wonder, however, if anyone knows which regiments were involved; I suspect the Royal Artillery and the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry?

I'd just like to remember the day when no armchair sailor can accuse Charles Herbert Lightoller of not putting enough people in the boat. Here's to Lights and the Sundowner!

Thanks for resurrecting this thread everyone! I love this quote on page 3.;)

Thanks for including the link to the video - here are a couple more. Sundowner is the last frame in the ITV news video.

The Dunkirk 'little ships' unite once again | ITV News

I went up on the Saturday night to Putney, where they were mustered, waiting for the following day and Sundowner was the third from the front in the middle of the river - it was very exciting to see it! My view of the river was not so good the following day when there were tens of thousands also trying to get a view.

Visitors flock to Ramsgate to see 'little ship' with Titanic links | This is Kent

This link is on the previous page, but here it is again, in case you missed it. it's Lightoller describing the experience himself - but someone says it's only possible to open it in the UK. I don't know.

BBC - Archive - Survivors of the Titanic - I Was There | Commander CH Lightoller

Back