Cameron's Titanic Explorer

Now I am baffled. It wouldn't work for me. Someone in here walked me thru the steps I described above and TE was up and running beautifully.

The QT version that came with the discs wouldn't work with my XP but downloading the QT 6.3 version was what I needed.

What a mystery.

I cant seem to download QT 6.3, when i try 2 download QT 6.4, it has no download button! The only thing from that site i can download is iMusic!

Can some one give me a step by step 4 te on windows xp?

can some1 put a direct link to qt 6.4 download page plz because i cant live without te!

this is proof i wasnt lying on my profile when i said i had no life
sad.gif

I'm curious about something....I installed QT 6.3 and my TE works. However, the only thing that i have trouble reading is the passenger list...all I see in the columns where the names, life boats #'s, etc. should be are just a series of symbols. Other than that, I have no problem accessing anything on any of the discs.

So...would it make a difference if I tried to update to QT 6.4? Would it make the passenger list available? Or am I better off staying with what I have as I do have access to everything else on the discs.

I just can't figure out why the passenger list is unreadable and only has symbols in place of the names, lifeboat #'s and the rest of the info. Anyone else with TE...can you see the names in the passenger list on your disc?

Jack,

BTW 6.4 is multimedia. It will play all sorts of things, but you don't access Titanic Explorer through it. Start TI from your Start menu, Programs and Fox Interactive as you would normally. QT runs invisibly in this case.

I just looked at the read-me file that came with the discs and I still couldn't find anything to help me with getting the passenger list to read. I have the proper Titanic Arial Font installed. There is a folder for it in control panel so that is not the problem.

The only thing I don't remember doing is installing each disc individually. Whatever I did I can run all discs...that is, I get the intro to each and all the fun stuff. It is only when I click on passenger list that it is "dead". Only dots and lines under the name column and the boat # column.

So....my question is...how o I install JUST disc 3 or re-install disc 3. maybe I did miss something but I can't imagine what since only one topic on one disc seems to be missing.

Thanks for any help.

From the readme.txt

"If the font file is visible in your Fonts folder but the font doesn't display in Titanic Explorer, you may have to restart your computer for the font to be fully recognized by your system. If the font still does not show up correctly, the
file may be damaged.Drag the 'Arial for Titanic' font file to the Recycle Bin and run the Titanic Explorer Installer from CD-ROM Volume 1 to install a fresh copy of the font."

Does that help?

Hi Tim:

The fold does display in my control panel and the font is arial in TE (if that is what you mean). I really wasn't sure if the font would have been a problem for one topic not reading...it was just a guess.

But going back to part of my question...I only remember installing QT 6.3 and disc 1 of TE to make it work. I think some people in previous posts mentioned installing all discs...am I supposed to do something with each individual disc? Could that me the problem?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Deborah,

That's possibly (probably?) the problem although I'm not sure. It sure wouldn't hurt and it would be faster and easier, no more swapping of CDs. Look in your TE DATA folder, you should have data 1, data 2, and data 3 subfolders, THREE separate subfolders. If you don't have them all just install them as you did the first. They must be separate subfolders if I recall correctly.

Hi Tim:

I check for my TE data folder. Found it and clicked it and saw 6 sub-folders I guess you'd say...shared, update, main.cxt, main.dxr, tc_brinks, Titanic....but no data 1, data 2 and data 3. There were a lot more files or sub files too. Are they under names and what do they contain (to help me find the right ones)?

Anyway, looking back in my notes on what I did to get TE...I installed QT 6.3, then ran the installer on TE disc 1, when it got to thepoint and asked to install QT3, I cancelled it and then I rebooted.

I really don't want to touch QT again as the first time I installed it, it became my default media player and changed everything regarding my music downloads and play lists. So I had to uninstall QT and uninstall my music download program. I reinstalled QT and checked no when it asked me if I wanted it to be my default player. Then I reinstalled my music download program and everything is back to normal where those things are concerned.

So I hope that IF I can fix my lack of the passenger list on disc 3, it won't have anything to do with uninstaling/reinstalling QT.

Back